Temperatures will dip below freezing next week, and you my be looking to a space heater to warm up your office. But those little heaters can cause big problems if not used correctly.
Here’s some advice from the Electrical Safety Foundation International regarding space heaters:
– Keep them 3 feet away from anything that can burn, such as paper, clothing and rugs.
– Plug them directly into a wall outlet – not an exdtension cord or power strip, which could overload and result in a fire.
– Don’t plug any other electrical device into the same outlet as the heater.
– They should be turned off and unplugged at the end of the work day or whenever you leave the room.
– Keep them out of high traffic areas and doorways, where they might pose a tripping problem.
– Employers should have a specific policy regarding space heaters, and educate employees about safe heater practices.